Monday, June 29, 2009

Can't Stop Laughing

Life with a 16 year old intern is quite humorous at times. My co-worker happens to be a little bit older than I am - I'd say mid 30's... and is the intern's backup supervisor. She has projects for him to complete, but for the most part - he sticks with me.

Anyway, this morning she had some stuff to do with him - which was a fairly mindless project of stuffing envelopes for a mailing. While stuffing, it is only natural that you'd chat about anything and everything that comes to mind.

So she asked him how he felt about the recent slew of deaths in the celebrity world - mainly Michael Jackson - because I don't think a 16 year old even knows who Farrah Fawcett was or has much connection to Charlie's Angels.... and Ed McMahon wouldn't have been on his radar much either. I'd bet that Michael Jackson and Billy Mays are the only two that register for him.

They start talking about it and how he felt... which on a side note - I'm not sure why people react so strongly to deaths of people that they've never even met. I mean sure - be sad that someone out there lost a family member, but I wouldn't say that I'd be in mourning over the loss of a celebrity.

Anyway, so after a few minutes of chatting about Michael's recent passing - the kid looks at her seriously and asks: "Well, I mean, how did you feel when JFK was killed?" PRICELESS!

She looked at him and asked: "How old do you think I am?! I wasn't even born when he died."

Hysterical!

5 comments:

  1. Oh he's just a baby!

    You know at that age there are just 2 older age groups 25-59 are old and 60 on up are really old. They don't pay that much attention to where someone fits in that age-span.

    Also at that age they aren't incredibly history savy. My sister teaches history for about that age and gave the kids an assignment to find a current event in the news paper that happened anywhere in the world except the US. One of the kids came in with something that happened in Colo. You know Denver, Colo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too funny!

    I didn't realize he was such a young-un! For some reason, I was picturing a college student.

    Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Only 16? I definitely thought he was in his 20s. It must be quite a trip working with a 16 year old boy everyday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize he was so young! How funny. I guess anyone over 30 seems ancient to a teenager. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is hysterical!

    I think we react so intensely to celebrity deaths because they are a part of our lives in many ways. Whether it be their music, their acting ability, their writing talent, etc, often they have been a part of our lives in one way or another. In a way it can be like losing a distant friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. I really enjoy getting feedback on my writing!